Word: architect
(lookup in dictionary)
(lookup stats)
Dates: during 1880-1889
Sort By: most recent first
(reverse)
...District of Columbia yesterday. Professor Johnston is still confined to his house, and is not yet able to take charge of his classes. The site chosen for the new dormitory is the ground between Edwards Hali and the new Art building. The plans by Mr. Page, the architect of the Art School, have been accepted. By a recent action of the faculty, the gymnasium will be open all day. Heretofore it has been greatly crowded during the few hours it has been open daily...
Work on the new library building at Cornell will be begun as soon as possible. The site chosen for the building is at the southwest corner of the quadrangle, where the ground slopes rapidly to the south and to the west, thereby offering advantages which the architect has not failed to make use of. Thus the reading-room, which is entered from the grounds on the east side, is on a level with the fourth floor of the west stack-room, which has seven stacks each seven feet high; the delivery desk being then at the vertical middle...
...library, costing $150,000, has lately been donated to the University of Vermont by Hon. Frederick Billings. The library is one of the masterpieces of the great architect Richardson, who planned Sever Hall and the Law School building...
...raised from subscriptions by the alumni, and a large fund has already been collected. It is estimated that the library will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $180,000. The style of architecture is what is known as the French Gothic, designed and planned by a well-known Philadelphian architect, Mr. Frank Furness. The distance of the library from College Hall is so short that a covered way will probably connect the two buildings, and no inconvenience will be experienced in going to and for during rainy weather. The main entrance, situated within the college yard, affords the only public...
...proposed by the college authorities to make extensive improvements in the Columbia College buildings in the coming summer. The changes are to be made under the direction of Charles C. Haight, a New York architect. The plans include an extension of the School of Mines building so that it will be four stories high with a basement. A tower will occupy the space of 45x60 feet on the corner of Fourth avenue and 49th street. A new lecture hall 40x60 feet is to be built on the site at present occupied by the president's house...